Sunday, January 20, 2008

A Busy Weekend!

This is the cover of Miss A's 9x9 album - I haven't done the centrepiece yet, as I am not sure if I want just a monogram, or a small photo of her on the front.
I am pleased with the way this turned out, with the exception of the rub-ons. It has been very frustrating with this particular brand of rub-ons, they take the top layer of paper off sometimes!! It doesn't seem to matter what type of paper, or cardstock for that matter; the sticky stuff is just a bit too sticky and although the rub-on has come off the backing paper, the PP or cardstock has become stuck to the backing paper!! Next time, I think I will pop the rub-on in the freezer for a few minutes before I use it.
But I absolutely adore the Prima flower - just can't get enough of them.

And this is the first page of the album, using the altered photo. As it is only 9x9 I figured I had to keep it fairly simple, with pastel colours so that the whole album blends in. I added to the digital swirls with the AL stamps; used Peacock ink - when I tested it on cardstock, it turned out a light black ... on the glossy photo paper it came out gold!! Not surprising, given the name, but an added surprise to the LO. And I knew I had to add some journalling, though not much - I found this journalling card with the roses on it, so thought I would use it too!! No extra flowers on the page, just a few pearls in the top corner and a gold baby feet charm down the bottom with a stray bead.
One down ... only 11 more to go!!


I also did a 12x12 layout for Miss A's personal album - the front page of it really wasn't up to scratch! Don't mention the rub-ons again ... but otherwise I am very pleased with the results. It has ribbon, pearls, flowers, swirls - what more could a girl want!! It fits very well into her album, and is an eye-catching first page.
And yes, I will re-do the previous opening page, which was a great idea but lacked in the application.
You know, looking at all of my recent layouts I have had to accept that my style is fairly plain and simple, not over-embellished.
Whilst I absolutely adore layouts by scrappers who can pull together a seemingly endless supply of items on the one layout, that just isn't me. I should get into adding more calligraphy on my work - it is a skill I have, so I should use it!
And finally, a start to one of my 2008 resolutions - finishing off some of those UFOs:
Over 6 months ago I hit the big 40 milestone. Whilst I was okay about it at first, after a short while I got spooked by the extra grey hair, the added weight and tiredness .. and 40 wasn't so hot anymore :-(
I started this OTP project soon after my birthday, complete with my absolute all-time favourite PP (I like to look at it, but it doesn't necessarily work well on any layout that I have contemplated) and a few of my other favourite things including pearls, flowers, beads, ribbons, rub-ons, charms and the stunning butterfly. I am actually a dragonfly girl more than butterfly, but the colour of this one was just stunning and fit so well with the rest of the project that it simply had to be there! This is now proudly displayed in my craft room, to help me remember all the good things about turning 40 and where I am with my life right now.

PS - we didn't make it to Darling Harbour this weekend. The rain coupled with a not-so-well DH and a possible unwanted job transfer lead us to the conclusion that it really wasn't going to be the celebratory weekend that we wanted it to be. So instead we had take-away Chinese, and sat in front of the tv watching the cricket and the tennis. We will do it, on another date when we are able to take the most advantage of my mother's kind offer.
I did go shopping at Spotlight yesterday, and picked up more OTP projects to do in the coming weeks and months. Next up is Miss A's baby keepsake box, then a DREAM album and LOVE montage. Along with more pages for her 9x9 album - and I must start the boys' albums too! Wonder when I am going to fit work in around all of this scrapping ...

No comments: